Origin of CMSC
The conference established its roots in 1951 when the late T. S. Hutchison, a professor of solid-state physics at the Royal Military College, and colleagues at Queens University, the University of Toronto, Alcan and the National Research Council began holding annual summer meetings at RMC. These meetings quickly became known as the Canadian Metal Physics Conference, with the self-proclaimed mission of fostering the development in Canada of a then modest research activity in physical metallurgy.
In 1976 the conference adopted metal chemistry into the conference. By 1988, to acknowledge changes that had taken place in the mission of most universities with metallurgical programs, the name of the Conference was changed to the Canadian Materials Science Conference. The Conference was held at RMC until 2000. Since 2001, the Conference has been hosted at a different venue each year.
The conference maintains a significant student component. The importance of this emphasis is indicated by the names of past student award winners, many of whom now hold positions of considerable authority in universities, industry or research establishments.
The conference is organized by the University in conjunction with the Metallurgy and Materials Society of the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum (MetSoc of CIM).
The conference is supported by:
The Metallurgy and Materials Society Metallurgists